Monday, February 8, 2010

GOOGOOSH!!!!

In Googoosh's performance of Hamseda, she uses many influences from Middle Eastern music. While my skills in music are not good, I will try to comment on this performance.

I was able to hear multiple gusheh or base melodies. The gusheh was easy to spot even though I had never heard one before. They were often present when there was a change in the beat of the music. This was the primary reason that I was able to pick up on the gusheh otherwise I would not have known of it. I have no idea what to make of this. I had never really paid much attention to this but now that I know that it's there......

During the performance, you hear very little string instruments. The song features many wind instruments and drums. The drums create the rhythm and provide the beat for the song while the wind instruments added little ornaments and variations throughout the song. I found myself focusing on the wind instruments for the most part besides the singer, of course. I don't know if this was the original intent of the artist or if I'm just weird. For a while, I thought that the song was non-pulsatile because I kept focusing on the wind instruments too much.

For the most part, I hear a predominately Middle Eastern influence in the piece. However, I think I also hear some elements of Latin music. Some of the sections for the wind instruments sound like some pieces of Latin music that I have heard before. I don't know if this is just a coincident or just a misunderstanding on my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment